Get your copy of the Help Students to Transition to Life Beyond School infographic.
Whatever you have been investing in career education in the past, you will be most likely to invest more in the future. Teachers can become learning coordinators by connecting with others to form a learning network. This infographic gives you ideas about who you can collaborate with to support students to gain skills for life beyond school.
Engage and Collaborate Framework
- Dave Turner created the WE3 Framework which supports the move from exposing primary school students to career ideas, through exploration in middle school and work experience for senior students.
- Dave told me to connect with Ian Palmer on LinkedIn. He is from School Industry Partnerships. There are some good tips for parents, teachers and students on there including information about work experience.
- You can explore opportunities for schools to engage with industry at Re-engineering Australia.
- A long time favourite of mine is Youth Central in Victoria.
- We don’t have anything like it in WA but we do have a Community Directory where you can find services in your area.
Middle School Ideas
Middle school is when students start to explore on their own. They test our boundaries as they strive to create their independence.
Direct the energy of middle school students through these ideas.
Students can check out ideas on this Coggle Map.
5 Steps to Engagement
There are just 5 steps to get in place when you want to start collaborating with community or industry.
- Governance: Agree on what you are trying to achieve together, who will be responsible for what bits, and to what standard.
- Business Rules: All organisations have rules that govern how things are done within the organisation. These are often about your priorities as an education providers. SCSA delivers some of our rules for example.
- Legal Framework: Schools are governed by duty of care, privacy and equal opportunity.
- Financial Management: Schools need to be accountable for the money that they spend and for the way that resources are used.
- Technical Framework: You will need to have some IT standards that ensure interoperability on one hand and privacy and security of data on the other.
Get clear, trusted career information that gives your students opportunities to find their dream. Subscribe to In Focus Careers News.