The big story for tradies for 2021 is that everyone is looking for apprentices. There is a construction bubble happening.
- Building and Block Layers are looking for girls to come into the trade.
- Peta from the College of Electrical Training said she is being inundated with calls from employers looking for electrical pre apps.
- The Master Builders Association is trying to encourage girls to put up their hands for an apprenticeship.
- Furniture trades are after apprentices.
- Protech are looking for apprentices
- Rio is looking for apprentices
- Hofmann Engineering is looking for apprentices
Tips for Girls
If you want to go into a building trade the job prospects are great, the pay is a whole lot better than aged or child care and you have opportunities to go into design, running your own business or project management.
If you would like working in building trades start looking at the big companies first. They are the ones with systems in place that reduce sexism and they try to make workplaces fair.
The National Association of Women in Construction provides support to women employees and to employers who take on a woman.
Check out the companies on their site, that are working with them and create a shortlist of which companies would be best to work for.
If you Hate School
Students who hate school might want to try their luck at getting an apprenticeship while the employer subsidies are available and the building industry is booming.
You are allowed to leave school early if you go into a job or into training. An apprenticeship is a job WITH training.
Become part of the Network of West Australian professionals who are working to deliver the best career guidance in the world.
Subscribe to the Infocus Careers Newsletter as your first step towards linking to a world of insanely great career ideas.
Infocus Careers is an independent organisation which is solely supported by insanely great subscribers who share information with me, support each other and help me to pay my bills.
I can talk about careers under water so if you would like to chat about how I can help you to improve your career or the services you deliver, give me a ring on 0434056412 or email me at Bev.J@infocus-careers.com.au