Oscar Winter chose to go to Morley SHS where they run a specialist multimedia and broadcasting program. He loved it. By the end of the course in year 10 he had started up his own website building business.
His mates at Morley were doing the special aviation program. It sounded brilliant so in year 11 & 12 Oscar joined his friends in the course.
Oscar was good at maths and loves thinking through things logically. The course included mapping, planning, problem solving, meteorology and physics. It was perfect for him.
His interest in aviation became a passion. He really wanted to work in aircraft maintenance.
In year 12 Oscar:
- got help to put together his resume and a cover letter. It identifies a host of short courses, leadership roles, extra-curricular activities, and his work history. This really is a resume to be proud of.
- sent his resume and covering letter out across the network he had built up while at school.
- searched online for companies in WA that would possibly employ him as an apprentice and sent his resume to them.
- got his family to contact people in their network to see if there were any leads for potential jobs.
Oscar got an offer of work experience at one of the companies he had contacted, and he is following up with the other companies he had written to.
He is now:
- checking with Centrelink to see what help they provide
- checking with Centrelink to find if he can get insurance cover from somewhere if he goes on work experience
- applying for the Certificate II in Aeroskills pre apprenticeship at South Metro TAFE
- checking out services available on the Job Active site
- looking for opportunities on Jora, Indeed and Seek.
Find your path to your best future. Contact me for insanely great career advice. Bev.J@infocus-careers.com.au
Become a member of the In Focus Careers Network
Join the powerful network of West Australian careers experts who support each other through In Focus Carers: