Time to chill about career decisions with this quick hack to your future.
Skip Black Swans and Purple Elephants
If you have never had anything to do with black swans or purple elephants you are unlikely to give them much consideration in your future.
If you have never had anything to do with farming or the army you are unlikely to give them much consideration as a career choice.
Skip careers that you haven’t had anything to do with.
An apple tree produces apples
People you like most, or who are closest to you, will have the most influence on your future.
- If your mum is a doctor you are likely to end up somewhere in the health industry. Particularly if you are a girl.
- If your dad is a builder you are likely to end up in building trades, or maybe architecture or engineering. Particularly if you are a boy.
Check out 20 people you know who have jobs. What are those jobs?
Break down gender stereotypes. Check out the jobs of everyone in your circle.
Go broad. “Health” could include be selling pharmaceuticals or doing medical research.
Which ones COULD you consider?
Don’t expect the answer to shout at you. Your future will arrive in a whisper.
Take the Power
By knowing that apples produce apples you will have the power to take into your heart those careers that you know from your home and close environment. This new awareness will help you to make decisions about where to start your career.
This simple hack will rule out 90% of careers and will make your choices much more manageable.
(Your decision will be easier if you know if you like science or humanities. You can start by building on those natural abilities to narrow down your choices even more and kick start your career in your chosen industry. )
Discover insanely great careers information
Get this and other insanely great careers information by subscribing to the In Focus Careers newsletter.
- Your first copy will be with you soon.
- I will ask you to send through the list of staff you would like me to add to your school email group. Most schools have 6 – 10 staff on their list. A few just have one. You can add more people at any time.
- I will send them all their copy and tell them that they are welcome to re-issue the information however they wish within your school community.
- Each month you will get your new monthly issue with:
- Information to share with students and families;
- A section of events, resources and research for education professionals; and
- A calendar of events months into the future.
- I will send you any new career teaching resources that I develop
- You can relax, knowing you have a conduit to all the information you need to help your students to unearth their best path to their future.
I am an evangelist for insanely great career education. Tap into the In Focus Careers community to unearth the power to be a career hero to your students.
Contact me at Bev.J@infocus-careers.com.au or on 0434056412