If you are starting Year 11 you are on the brink of a great adventure.
Year 11 is when you start to consciously unearth your uniqueness and explore how you are going to make your contribution to the world.
Last year you watched your friends in Year 11 as they discovered that being smart wasn’t enough and that they needed to study.
Last year you watched some Year 11s get engaged with opportunities and they became remarkable.
Now it’s your turn to have a go. Be remarkable!!
Great Adventures Require Great Planning
As this is your first time in Year 11. You will not know what to do. You don’t want to look too keen, too dumb or too different. Be smart. Don’t do it all by yourself.
You can stand on the shoulders of giants.
Who do you look up to? Who has some interesting ideas that you can tap into?
Do some research. Start developing relationships. You just need a couple of ideas to follow up on. Your adventure will start to build.
Great Adventures are Hard Work
The Darwin Awards tell the sad stories of idiots who tried to have an adventure without the right skills and knowledge. Surviving your great adventure will require a special set of skills, designed for your particular environment.
- Revise your study skills.
- Figure out your learning style – knowing that will help you to take shortcuts and study more effectively.
- Get a job or volunteer. It will help you to learn more than you can imagine. You can find how to do that on Seek.com.
- Form alliances with teachers….. who will be pathetically grateful if you seek and value their expertise.
- Get a coach or mentor. These are easier to find than you think. There are mentors at universities, professional organisations, unions, local clubs and associations. You can tap into the vast resources of your school alumni or pay a coach to guide you.
If you are having trouble figuring out how to get one contact me, Bev.J@infocus-careers.com.au and I will help you to find one.
Comedian Eddie Perfect said something like….
When you are going through the jungle you can’t see anything… you just go…okay…. I’ll try this.
When you come out the other side you look back and go…
OH WOW LOOK…. THERE’S A PATH!
It seems obvious.
But it’s not.
Your unique path through your adventure isn’t obvious. No one knows what your adventure will be.
Your dreams will come to you in a whisper, not a shout. Listen for one tiny idea to guide your way…. and that will be enough.
Discover the In Focus Careers Newsletter services and costs HERE.