Most teachers are not aware of the biggest, fastest, industrial revolution that is happening outside of the school gates.
As the rate of change continues to accelerate it is essential that schools work with industry, government and community to create a holistic environment that connects students with pathways to the future.
There are a number of initiatives happening outside school which can be tapped into:
- WA has more Coderdojos than any other State.
- The Education-Lab initiative at St Catherine’s is providing free science exploration to school students.
- HackerPals is teaching kids to code and play with robotics.
- Educating Futures initiative delivered to Year 11 by me at In Focus Careers with enkel is empowering kids to become changemakers.
- Universities are starting to teach school students and allow Year 10s to do bachelor degree units.
Preparing students to become 21st Century citizens requires tri sector collaboration.
The old saying that It takes a village to raise a child is more appropriate than ever in the 21st Century. There is no quick fix to dealing with the revolution that is manifesting.
I am convinced WA is small enough, parochial enough and connected enough to create a 21st Century State of Innovation that prepares our students to become Future Ready Citizens.
Working together is the best way to prepare our students for the future.