Year 10 is an amazing transition year. As you start Year 10 you could still be acting like a kid. By the end of the year you will start to realize that no one else is in charge of your career. No one else is going to do it for you.
It’s time to grow yourself up
Try new stuff. Say YES. Try stuff that might not work. Make mistakes.
Make connections. 85% of jobs are filled through networking.
Explore opportunities like the Rotary Youth Exchange Scholarship
Explore your hobbies. Interested in robots? Join a Coderdojo. Interested in media? Start your own blog, YouTube channel, or podcast.
- Become better at your job. Improve your study skills in 2017.
- Get a part time job. Try to get one at a big company where you get training, like McDonalds or one of the big supermarkets.
- You meet people, you get to try different things that you are interested in, and you don’t have to stay if you don’t like it. Search online for “volunteer jobs” and name your suburb or create a Seek.com account and check out the “Volunteers” tab.
- Interested in sport? Coach a junior team. Volunteer to umpire. Help to organise.
- Go to university open days and the two career expos in the middle of the year.
- Check pre requisites for any university courses you are interested in at the Schools Curriculum Standards Authority.